Theory Versus Real Life
It’s one thing to take a class and learn the theory behind something, but it’s another to sit down at your computer and apply your client’s real-life facts to the form in your software.
CSEA’s Tax Study Groups are free for Members (registration is required) and provide an opportunity for you to work a specific tax problem for a fictional client and check your results – from theory to software. It is assumed that by registering for any study group, participants already know the theory behind the tax topic and are ready to put that knowledge to practical use.
How it Works
- After registration, you will be able to access the Zoom link(s) and download fictional client case studies (when they become available; typically, one week prior to the scheduled study group) from your Learning Hub.
- You will prepare the relevant tax form(s) to the best of your ability using your tax software.
- Then, on the evening of the scheduled study group, the moderator(s) will lead the group through a review of the finished form and demonstrate how they got there. Afterwards, there will be a group discussion.
- Participants should bring their own completed practice forms for comparison and questions.
Study groups will be held on the second Thursday of each month through the end of the year and will start at 5:00 pm Pacific and conclude at approximately 7:00 pm. (Subject to change.)
- June 8 | Pass-through Entity Tax (PTET) | Moderators: Jay Lang, EA, and Riki Donaghy, EA
- July 13 | Trust Return (tentative) | Moderator: Mary Philippsen, EA (tentative)
- August 10 | Topic and Moderators TBD
- September 14 | Topic and Moderators TBD
- No Tax Study Group in October
- November 9 | Topic and Moderators TBD
- December 14 | Topic and Moderators TBD
You can register for individual study groups below.
Don't forget to select your dates! After logging in, click the button, then use the button beside each option below to select which study groups you wish to attend.
Remember! Use the button and then the in your cart to register.
You can come back to this page and add more study groups later! As we schedule more topics and provide further information, feel free to return to this page and add more. Don't forget to use the Proceed to Checkout button and Submit your cart to complete your updated registration.